Satellite Phone Subsidy Scheme - Department of Broadband, Communications, and the Digital Economy
Satellite Subsidy Scheme(SPSS)
The Satellite Phone Subsidy Scheme is an Australian Government initiative to help people living or working outside of terrestrial mobile phone coverage to purchase satellite mobile phones and is administered by The Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy.
|The Satellite Phone Subsidy has been extended to June 2013
Before buying any mobile satellite phone, you should verify your eligibility for a Satellite Mobile Phone Subsidy which is available to approved applicants who live, work or operate a business in an area not served by the terrestrial GSM networks.
The Government's Satellite Phone Subsidy Scheme (SPSS) is available to residents of all states and territories. Changes to the eligibilty criteria of the Subsidy scheme were made in June 2006, these changes have been incorporated into the summary below.
It is important to note that the application for the Subsidy needs to be made before purchase of your mobile satellite phone.
Enquire today to see if you are eligible and you could save up to 85%*, that's up to $1000* in savings
The Satellite Phone Subsidy Scheme at a glance
- Eligible consumers to whom the Subsidy can be provided include individuals, small businesses, community groups, not-for-profit organisations, Indigenous corporations and volunteer emergency services. The Scheme applies to terrestrial, maritime and aviation users who meet the eligibility criteria.
- You may apply for one subsidy per person or a maximum of two Subsidies per organisation or business.
- You may be eligible for a subsidy of 85% of the cost of the phone (up to max. of $1000) if you live outside of or operate a business outside of cellular coverage.
- You may be eligible for a subsidy of 50% of the cost of the phone (up to max. of $700) if you do not live or operate a business outside of cellular coverage but will spend a minimum of 120 days per year for a minimum of 2 years from the date of purchase, outside of cellular coverage.
- The Subsidy applies to purchases of a satellite mobile phone through a SPSS registered dealer. The Subsidy is paid to dealers, who deduct it from the retail price of the phone to consumers, the dealer claims the subsidy back from SPSS via a pre-approval voucher.
- Your application for SPSS must be approved PRIOR to your purchase.
- The Subsidy will NOT be paid for a satellite mobile phone purchased before your application for the Subsidy is approved.
It is critically important to complete the paperwork accurately and the very first time before you post in your application!! We can assist you with this.The Satellite Subsidy Scheme website for complete details.